Last Modified: March 30, 2016
Textbooks 101 is a great way for students to ensure that they're always getting the best prices on schoolbooks.
As a result of using the Textbooks 101 application, you will inevitably share some information with us. This document describes what information we collect from you, how we use it, and who we share it with.
Information About You That We Collect
- Information that you choose to give us
- Information accumulated while you use our services
Information That You Choose To Give Us
When you use and interact with the services provided by Textbooks 101 (and Friday Software Group Inc.), we collect the information that you voluntarily share with us. For example, when you create an account on Textbooks 101, we will store the first and last name you provide to us, as well as the school, city, username and profile picture that you associate with your account. If you sign up via Facebook, a unique access token provided by Facebook is obtained and stored within your user account, as well as your Facebook profile ID and the expiration date of said token. This information will be private if you request from within your profile settings, and will be public if you allow your name and school to be public.
As well, all books added for buying or selling purposes are stored and kept as long as you keep them on Textbooks 101. Deleting any added books for either buying or selling purposes will remove them from being stored on our service. All messages that you receive from others, and messages that you send to others are stored. As a result, we highly recommend that you do not share any sensitive or personal information over messages, such as addresses, financial information or any other information that you wouldn't casually share publicly.
When you contact Textbooks 101 for support, we may store the information that you voluntarily provide while communicating with our support team as a result of support-providing process.
Information Accumulated While You Use Our Services
While using the Textbooks 101 service, we collect information about how you use the application. This information may include user analytics, usage statistics, advertising-based statistics and error reporting. Here's a breakdown of some of the information collected while you use our services:
- Usage Information: Information about how you use the Textbooks 101 service may be collected. For example, Textbooks 101 integrates the Crashlytics service, which may log crashes, errors and other bugs that you encounter while using Textbooks 101. The collected information may or may not contain data about who was using the application at the time of the error. The collected information does contain details about the state of your device at the time of the report, such as: battery state, rooted/unrooted (Android) or jailbroken/not-jailbroken (iOS), amount of free storage space, amount of free memory, and other device details. The collected information is stored by, reported by and shared with the Crashlytics service. The information collected is used by Textbooks 101 to provide a better and more stable user experience. More information about the Crashlytics service, the information they store and collect, and how they use it is available at: https://try.crashlytics.com/terms/.
Other examples of collected usage behaviour may include how often you interact with push notifications, if push notifications were successfully delivered, how often you interact with Textbooks 101, and the growth of our user base. In such cases of non-error related usage behaviour data collection, the information collected is not obtained in a way that allows us to personally identify you and is really only collected for statistical purposes.
- Device Information: As well as the device information collected by error reports (see above, Usage Information), other device information is stored. Such device information may include:
- Device Identification Tokens: Used to enable Push Notifications on Android and iOS devices.
- General Device Information: The device type (Android vs. iOS), locale/region, timezone, and date that your device first accessed/installed Textbooks 101.
- Camera/Photos: We may access your Camera or Photos, but only if you give consent, and we only use the specific photo or photos that you provide to us.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Sources: In-app advertisements on Textbooks 101 are provided by Facebook Audience Network. Unique advertising identifiers, as well as cookies, web beacons, web storage and activity information may be collected, stored, and used by the Facebook Audience Network service. Behaviour when interacting with the advertisments may also be collected by the Facebook Audience Network in order to improve the relevancy of the advertisements they serve.
- Log Information: In addition to the application performance information collected by the Crashlytics service (see above, Usage Information), we conduct our own performance related logs. In most cases, we will ask you for consent before sending non-fatal error information, but sometimes other information may be collected/stored for diagnostic purposes. Such information may be:
- The success of network requests to and from the Textbooks 101 backend.
- The success of server side operations initiated by the client application.
How The Information Is Used
The information obtained by Textbooks 101 has a very simple purpose: improve the application and provide the best user experience possible. Other uses may be:
- Protect, enhance, mature, grow, improve, and maintain the Textbooks 101 application.
- Analyze and monitor usage trends.
- Show you custom advertisements, and personalize advertisements.
- Verify your identity.
How and When We Share Information
- With third parties for legal reasons
- We will share your information with third parties if we reasonably believe that sharing your information to a third party would prevent criminal activity, keep people safe, or for any other legal reason we feel is reasonable cause for sharing your information.
- With other Textbooks 101 users
- When interacting with other users on Textbooks 101, your name, school, profile picture and city information will be shared with them as a result of the buy/sell process. As well, any other information you willingly share with them will be accessible to them. If you choose to not hide your name/school, your information will also be available publicly for any other user of Textbooks 101 when browsing books.
- Books you add to Textbooks 101 are always shared publicly and may be viewed by anyone.
- With the provider(s) of services integrated within Textbooks 101
- We may share your information with the third party services we integrate in order to provide a better experience when using Textbooks 101, such third parties include:
- Crashlytics (a Twitter company), for error and crash reporting.
- Facebook Audience Network, in order to provide advertisements.
- Parse (a Facebook company), the backend service and application logic which Textbooks 101 is built off of. This is where all of the information you provide, analytical usage information, user submitted bug reports, and performance logs are stored.
- Facebook, which monitors some usage statistics, such as how often the application is active and how many new users the application has gained.
Advertising Services and Analytics Services Provided By Others
International Users Outside the United States and Canada
We invite international users to give Textbooks 101 a shot. Textbooks 101 is proudly developed, operated and maintained within Canada. The information collected about you is stored, processed and used within the United States and may be transferred and processed in countries and regions outside of the United States. Due to the nature of a global internet, at some point, information collected about you could be processed or stored in a region with different privacy laws than the country you reside.